HELP SOLVE HAWAII'S TRANSPORTATION PROBLEMS
Entrepreneurs, developers, designers and problem solvers are sought for the first “Reboot the Commute” urban mobility challenge on May 22 and 23 at ProtoHub. Solutions and opportunities for smart applications that can help solve some of Hawaii’s most pressing transportation problems will be at the heart of this two-day, hackathon-style event where teams will compete to take their idea to prototype.
Participation is open to individuals and teams based in Hawaii, including professional and student developers. Companies, organizations, meetup groups and technology clubs are also welcome. Cash prizes of $3000 total ($1000 per vertical) will be awarded in each challenge category with winners also having the chance to present at Startup Paradise Demo Day, joining other major companies who are pitching to investors, entrepreneurs and policy makers.
|Friday, May 22:||Reboot the Commute kickoff event at ProtoHUB|
|6pm||Registration / Refreshments and pupus|
|7pm||Keynote and Challenges|
|9pm - All Night||Form teams/START|
|Saturday, May 23:||Reboot the Commute challenge at ProtoHUB|
|7:30am||Coffee and donuts|
|10am||Expert / Mentor Breakout Sessions|
|6 - 8pm||Project Demos and awards|
$25 fee for May 22-23 only
Students may use discount code "student" (Student ID required at check-in)
Food and drink included
$3,000 in prizes
Data in Transportation
Best solution using/gathering data (e.g. crowdsource reporting, data visualization)
Best tools for making transportation more efficient (e.g. parking, maps, notifications)
Alternate Modes of Travel
Best solution for advancing alternate modes of travel (e.g. bike, rail, bus, rideshare)
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
Everyone can participate.
Each Contestant will be required to provide the following as part of the Submission:
- A link to the software Application.
- A text description of the software Application, including a declaration of which Vertical(s) the software Application addresses
After the Competition Submission Period has ended, the Submission cannot be modified in any way until after Judging has ended.
Note that some Verticals may have category-specific rules and requirements in addition to the rules below. Please refer to the rules and updates tabs.
- Submissions may be any kind of software application, be it for the web, a personal computer, a mobile handheld device, SMS, or any software platform broadly available to the public.
- Submissions must be either in English or if in a language other than English, must be accompanied by an English translation of the text.
- Submissions must not be indecent, defamatory, in obvious bad taste, demonstrate a lack of respect for public morals or conduct or adversely affects the reputation of the Sponsors.
- Submissions must not: a) be illegal under applicable laws; b) depict hatred, defame, threaten a specific community in the society or incite violence; c) contain vulgar language or violence; or d) contain pornography, obscenity or sexual activity.
- Submissions must a) be original; b) be solely owned by Contestant and that no other party has any rights or interest, whether known or unknown; and c) not violate the Intellectual Property, common law or privacy rights of other parties. A Contestant may contract with a third party to assist with the creation of their Submission, provided the Contestant is the sole and unequivocal owner of all intellectual property and licenses in the Submission.
How to enter
Show up and submit your challenge before the end of the day Saturday!
Make sure you tag your personal and competition profile.
Chief Hacktivist / Vinli
Director, Energy Excelerator at Pacific International Center for High Tech Research
Executive Director & CEO at High Technology Development Corporation
Potential to positively impact Hawaii’s residents, visitors, and businesses, as relevant to each respective Vertical or Horizontal (25%)
Quality of concept, including creativity, originality and commercial viability (25%)
Implementation of the idea (including user experience and design) (50%)